Caxton Magazines, Garden & Home seeks an experienced Features Editor who can research and write top-class content across multiple platforms. As Features Editor, you will be responsible for generating original and inspired feature ideas that meet our editorial standards and give rise to attention-grabbing cover lines. If you are passionate about home décor and gardening, we want to hear from you!
- Planning and executing content for the brand by generating, pitching and selecting original, brand appropriate feature ideas in consultation with the Editor.
- Craft engaging and attention-grabbing heads, cover lines and sells.
- Manage and cultivate strong relationships with a team of freelance contributors ensuring editorial deadlines are met.
- Commission articles from freelance contributors by preparing and circulating editorial briefs to writers and photographers and, when appropriate, negotiate fees.
- Research and write a variety of engaging features, including house features, in keeping with the style and voice of the brand.
- Manage quality control on all features by rewriting, editing, proofreading copy to ensure it meets editorial standards prior to going to press.
- Compile shopping pages and source accessories for décor and house shoots.
- Oversee artwork, design and photography for the features section of the magazine ensuring compliance with editorial style and tone.
- Attend photo shoots as and when required.
- Maintain awareness of local and international décor and gardening trends through research.
- Interpret and adapt trends rendering them relevant to a local audience.
- Collaborate with the digital editor to create engaging online content in keeping with the brand’s identity.
- Represent the magazine at events during and after hours to cultivate relevant editorial relationships.
- Undertake and manage special projects as and when required by the Editor and the commercial team.
- Keep abreast of current media law, industry ethical guidelines and ensure compliance thereof.
- Tertiary qualification in Journalism, Media Studies, English or Communications
- At least two years’ full-time working experience as a features writer and/or online content producer for a consumer magazine.
- Substantial experience in writing and, ideally, commissioning short-form and long-form content.
- Proven computer literacy.
- Own transport.
- Extensive digital experience and knowledge required and a solid understanding of SEO will be an advantage.
- Experience working in a digital environment – including writing for an online audience.
- Must have a deep understanding of social media.
Skills and Attributes
- Brilliant writing ability and an excellent command of English.
- A passion for décor, design and gardening.
- Knowledge of interior design will be advantageous.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- A thorough understanding of brand tone and style.
- Be deadline and detail oriented.
- Have the ability to work within a team as well as autonomously.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to manage, mentor and motivate the team.
- Must be commercially astute in respect of content that sells.
If you are interested in this great opportunity and want to be part of an exciting and challenging work environment, send your CV to [email protected] by no later than 11/05/18. If you have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.